Sunday 20 January 2013

Melissa's Unit 2&3 Reflection


Right now, I am more familiar with equilibrium by the end of December. Equilibrium does not only appear in chemistry (equation can shift back and forth) and business (price equilibrium), but also in physics!! There are different kinds of equilibrium in physics, such as, translational equilibrium, rotational equilibrium, static equilibrium. Translational equilibrium means all the objects at rest or moving with uniform motion in a straight line. The sum of the forces acting on the object also equals to zero. I think solving problems related to translational, equilibrium is my strength in this unit and I think the problems are fun and interesting to deal with. At first, I had difficulties by drawing triangles. However, I never gave up and practiced a several times at home. Now, it becomes my strength and I am happy to see myself improve on that. The second one is rotational equilibrium and it is a bit similar with translational equilibrium, which is when the net torque on an object is zero, it is said to be in rotation eq’m. Torque is the twisting effect caused by a force and it is affected by the position of the force (angle) and also the magnitude of force. Rotational motion or angular acceleration is caused by net torque. Problems related to rotational eq’m are also easy to understand. Somehow, I find they are sometimes challenging too! Thirdly, static eq’m means that an object is not translating and not rotating. However, I think some problems related to ladder, beam problems, deal with torque and angles are a bit challenging for me. For some of the beam problems, I always keep forgetting to put cosine angle something and I also lose mark on that on my test. It is important to understand what forces are extracting on the specific object while you are working on the eq’m problems. Also, practice more problems also helps a lot on my study. 

No comments:

Post a Comment